Health Guide USA
America's Online Health Resource Guide

Psychologist Training

Most clinical, counseling, and research psychologists need a doctoral degree. Psychologists can complete a Ph.D. in psychology or a Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) degree. A Ph.D. in psychology is a research degree that culminates in a comprehensive exam and a dissertation based on original research. In clinical, counseling, school, or health service settings, students usually complete a 1-year internship as part of the doctoral program. The Psy.D. is a clinical degree and is often based on practical work and examinations rather than a dissertation.

School psychologists need a masterís, specialist (Ed. S. degree, which requires a minimum of 60 graduate semester hours), or doctoral degree in school psychology. Because their work addresses education and mental health components of studentsí development, school psychologistsí training includes coursework in both education and psychology.

Graduates with a masterís degree in psychology can work as industrial-organizational psychologists. When working under the supervision of a doctoral psychologist, masterís graduates also can work as psychological assistants in clinical, counseling, or research settings. Masterís degree programs typically include courses in industrial-organizational psychology, statistics, and research design.

Entry into psychology graduate programs is competitive. Most masterís degree programs do not require an undergraduate major in psychology, but do require coursework in introductory psychology, experimental psychology, and statistics. Some doctoral degree programs require applicants to have a masterís degree in psychology, while others will accept applicants with a bachelorís degree and a major in psychology.

Most graduates with a bachelorís degree in psychology find work in other fields such as business administration, sales, or education.

In most states, practicing psychology or using the title of ďpsychologistĒ requires licensure or certification.

In all states and the District of Columbia, psychologists who practice independently must be licensed. Licensing laws vary by state and type of position. Most clinical and counseling psychologists need a doctorate in psychology, an internship, at least 1 to 2 years of professional experience, and to pass the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology. Information on specific requirements by state can be found from the State Psychology Boards. In many states, licensed psychologists must complete continuing education courses to keep their licenses.

School psychologists must be licensed or certified to practice in schools. This credential varies by state and is usually obtained through the stateís department of education. Information on specific requirements by state can be found from the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP).

In addition, NASP awards the Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) designation, which is a nationally recognized certification. Currently, 30 states accept the NCSP as a route to licensing or certification. To become nationally certified, candidates need a minimum of 60 graduate semester hours in a school psychology program, a 1,200-hour supervised internship, and to pass the National School Psychology Examination.

The American Board of Professional Psychology awards specialty certification in 13 areas of psychology, such as clinical health, couple and family, psychoanalysis, or rehabilitation. Although board certification is not required for most psychologists, it can demonstrate professional expertise in a specialty area. Some hospitals and clinics do require certification. In those cases, candidates must have a doctoral degree in psychology, state license or certification, and any additional criteria of the specialty field.

Psychologists typically need previous related work experience. To become licensed, for example, psychologists must have completed one or more of the following: predoctoral or postdoctoral supervised experience, an internship, or a residency program. School psychologists also must complete a yearlong supervised internship program to become licensed or certified.

Source: U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition

for State specific information, visit JOB OUTLOOK BY STATE

Explore Health Profession Training

Assessor Links USA    All Things Political

Juggling Cats    Doomsday Guide    Engineers Guide USA

To report a broken link or to suggest a new site for
our online resource guide, please Contact Us.

Proquantum Corporation.
Copyright @ 2002-2020

Use of this website is expressly subject to the various
terms and conditions set forth in our

User Agreement/Disclaimer, Privacy Policy  and Cookie Policy